Tired of oats and chia seeds for breakfast? These lower carb parsnip röstis are simple, savoury and perfect for meal prepping!
I tend to be a fan of sweet breakfasts, like the classic peanut butter and banana on toast. Sometimes though, I crave something savoury in the mornings. It’s been a long time since I did a recipe post, so why not make one now?
Röstis are a traditional Swiss dish and in this version, I’ve swapped potatoes for a lower carb mix of parsnip and carrot. This makes it a breakfast option that’s packed full of hearty root vegetables and warm spices, so perfect for a cold autumn or winter morning! What’s more, you can make them ahead of time and reheat in the morning. All you need to do is choose your toppings.
I recently invested in a food processor that includes several attachments, including a grater blade. This cuts down the prep time by about…a tenth, and who doesn’t appreciate a little bit of kitchen convenience? If you can, I’d recommend that you invest in one!
When I last made these on a Sunday morning, I enjoyed them with a fried egg, bacon and mixed leaves. When I’m eating the leftovers as a mid-week breakfast, I enjoy them as a vegetarian option with spinach, egg and avocado. When I’m not eating them freshly fried, I either warm them up in the pan, or pop them in the toaster (make sure they don’t catch and burn though).
- 2 parsnips
- 1 carrot
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon oil (such as olive or rapeseed)
- Grate the parsnips and carrot and add to a bowl
- Finely chop the spring onion and coriander before adding to the veg
- Season with the spices, salt and pepper
- Add in the flour and crack in the eggs – mix together (you want a mix that holds together and isn’t gloopy, so one large egg may be enough)
- Heat the oil in the pan over a medium to high heat
- When the pan is hot, place a tablespoon’s worth of mixture into the pan and press down
- Let a crust form and flip when golden
- Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil
- Enjoy with your favourite toppings!